By DiAnn Mills
Writers treasure giving Christmas gifts that are meaningful and personal. In the season‘s busyness, we too often become overwhelmed. We love every moment from November through December … parties, family time, worship, decorating, and the list goes on. But sometimes our ideas hit zero in the gift department. On Christmas Eve, we have nothing to wrap because we lost sight of our richest possession—the art of writing.
The following are 10 ways every writer can ensure a perfect Christmas gift.
- Create a poem for family and friends. Use a special but readable font. Print on cardstock paper and frame it. Don’t forget to sign and date this heartfelt gift.
- Develop a 30-day devotional for January. Have the book’s contents bound at a local retailer such as Office Depot. Print enough copies for all those who value reading the same biblical passages, reflections, and prayers in a group setting.
- Original writer-related quotes benefit our writer friends and even family members who support our passion for the craft. How writers bind their work is as creative as the quotes.
- Life quotes often fly into our minds at serendipitous moments. These can be insightful, humorous, serious, or unique to us. Writers can use their imaginations to design a booklet for each person to enjoy.
- Host a Facebook live event for followers and readers. Encourage them to ask questions and make suggestions. Perhaps the writer could hold a drawing for books (possibly their own) or from other writers in the same genre. This shows we care and are relational.
- Short stories or fond memories in story format are always a treat to give and receive.
- Design a mug with your writer’s logo. Add a bag of coffee or hot chocolate, and the recipients will remember the giver every time they drink something warm and delicious.
- Pen a letter to each person on your list. Make it personal, something the recipient will always remember.
- Organize and write a Christmas mystery. Invite guests to a dinner party in which they solve the mystery. Encourage the guests to dress in character.
- Plan for Christmas 2020 with a spiritual legacy. Purchase a journal Bible. Personalize it to the recipient. Use the Bible for a year to read and journal what God is showing you for that person.
How can you use your talent this Christmas?10 Ways a Writer can Give this Christmas @DiAnnMills #ACFWBlogs #writinglife @ACFWTweets #Christmasgift Click To Tweet
DiAnn Mills is a bestselling author who believes her readers should expect an adventure. Her titles have appeared on the CBA and ECPA bestseller lists; won two Christy Awards; the Inspirational Readers’ Choice, and Carol award contests. DiAnn speaks to groups and teaches writing all over the country. Connect with DiAnn here: diannmills.com